Large castings are hard to be measured in machinery manufacturing due to their size, heavyweight and complicated making process. Although a normal 3D handheld scanner can flexibly measure large volumes, the larger they are, the deviations are bigger. In order to achieve accuracy, it is necessary to cooperate with photogrammetry measurement to improve volume accuracy.
ScanTech AXE 3D scanner is especially targeting at scanning large objects. AXE can reach high volumetric accuracy (0.02mm+0.035mm/m) without the extra device, it overturns the measurement way for large volumes.
3D inspection realizes high production efficiency
During the process of manufacturing large castings, machining allowance directly affects the working efficiency.
3D inspection on rough blank aims to provide data for accurately machinery process, and the most essential thing is to get accurate data from the rough blank of castings and compare it with the original data to obtain deviations.
What are the demerits of traditional measurement methods?
- Due to the big size of castings, traditional measuring tools, such as calliper, tape line and straight edge, are very inefficient and imprecise.
- Some complicated parts and curved surfaces are difficult to be measured, which will cause serious deviations and hardly obtain accurate data.
- CMM is known for high accuracy, but it operates with very low-efficiency, moreover, such objects are pretty heavy and oversized, so the measuring cost is very high. In a word, it is also not practical.
How does AXE 3D laser scanner overcome this problem?
In order to conquer the shortcomings of traditional measuring tools, CMM and normal handheld scanners, ScanTech AXE 3D laser scanner came out after independent R&D. It can fast get 3D stl data of the rough blank, and form deviations based on original CAD data. The volume accuracy of single machine is far superior to that of other handheld 3D scanners, and double scanning area extremely increase 3D scanning speed.
When dealing with the rough blank of a heavy casting and forging (volume of 3000*2000*600mm), ScanTech AXE 3D laser 3D scanner has the following advantages:
- Use half of markers in double scan area so as to greatly improve working efficiency.
- Access to 3D stl data according to obtained 3D data of the rough blank.
- Quickly generate deviations compared with original CAD data.
- Attaching stickers: 4 minutes
- 3D scanning: 6 minutes
- Inspection report: 2 minutes
3D scanning process
Working environment under AXE 3D global laser scanner
3D scanning stl data
Original CAD data
The overall 3D scanning data deviations
ScanTech AXE 3D laser scanner will continuously focus on large volumes and optimize product functions based on market demands. The volume accuracy of single machine is far superior to that of other handheld 3D scanners, and double scanning area extremely increase 3D scanning speed. ScanTech will make efforts to develop more well-qualified 3D scanners for different fields.