Die casting is a metal casting process which is characterized by forcing molten metal under high pressure into a mold cavity. The casting equipment and the metal dies represent large capital costs and this tends to limit high-volume production. So the quality of die casting plays an important role in mechanical products. In order to improve products’ quality, 3D inspection is a more convenient way compared with traditional CMM.
Q1: Why is 3D inspection necessary for die casting?
● 3D inspection will verify whether the finished product is qualified or not
● Help manufacturers adjust the mold and production process according to the inspection 3D data.
Q2: What are the disadvantages of traditional CMM?
● Hard to inspect product with complex structure
● Low speed due to contact measurement
● Probe might damage the surface and cause transformation
Q3: What are the advantages of 3D scanner?
● Easy to scan the objects in any shape
● Non-contact measuring without damages
● Dynamic measuring: freely move the scanner and the object
● High volumetric accuracy
● Quickly capture the full 3D data
Except for choosing qualified materials, manufacturers always adopt 3D inspection to improve product quality. When the product is thin and complicated in shape, the probe of CMM may damage the object. Therefore, non-destructive 3D scanning is what the manufacturers need.
ScanTech 3D solution
To protect product’s surface and inspect with high efficiency, ScanTech will attach markers on the die casting, scan by HSCAN771. This 3D scanner will accurately capture the 3D data of the object and calculate deviation data through contrast detect.
What are the advantages of HSCAN771?
● Fast obtain 3D data of objects with curved surface and complex structure
● Accuracy is up to 0.03mm
● Easy to carry; portable and light
● Non-contact and dynamic measuring
● Scan reflective surface without powder spray
● Keep the object intact
● Attach markers: 3 mins
●Scanning: 8 mins
● Data process: 4 mins
ScanTech handheld 3D scanner HSCAN771 quickly finished 3D inspection on die casting with high precision, and formed inspection report through ScanViewr software, this is how to help manufacturers solve the difficulties on quality control.